It has been lovely to be able to reintroduce our ‘Help to weave’ service. Once again, people of all ages are visiting our farm to help to weave a coffin for a loved one. Many arrive with no previous weaving experience. That isn’t a problem. One of our friendly and highly experienced weavers is always on hand to help.
New procedures for weaving a willow coffin
New procedures have been introduced in order to keep our staff and the families who come to weave here as safe as possible. If you would like to be involved in weaving a willow coffin, please let your Funeral Director know as soon as possible.
- A maximum of 6 family members
- Only one ‘Help to weave’ visit per day
- All members of the party should feel well and not have any COVID symptoms. It is not necessary to take a lateral flow or PCR test
- Every member of the weaving party is required to wear a mask
- Usually available Tuesday – Friday. Visiting times are 10.30am – 1.00pm or 1.30pm – 5.30pm
- There is plenty of free parking on our farm. Please come to Reception on arrival
- Help to weave parties must not wander around the farm unaccompanied
- Tea / coffee can be provided
- Help to weave participants are welcome to bring a packed lunch which can be eaten in a designated room or on benches outside. There are a number of pubs a short drive away
Family members are welcome to order additional willow items during a visit. Many loved ones take the opportunity to make a keepsake with the willow used to weave the coffin.
Help us to plan ahead
We appreciate that funerals can take place at short notice. Our weavers will do all that they can to accommodate requests. Over 60 willow coffins leave our workshops each week, so the more notice that we have the easier it is for us to assist with help to weave requests.
Our ‘Help to weave’ service is provided free of charge.
For those unable to visit our Somerset farm, it may be possible to either film part of the chosen coffin being woven or live stream some of the weaving. Please let your Funeral Director know if you would like to use either of these free services. All our coffins have been approved by the F.F.M.A.
(The images used in this blog were taken prior to the COVID pandemic.)